Thursday 26 March 2009

Light: Science and Magic.

After being told that my replacement lens was on backorder I was somewhat surprised today to be offered a refund or replacement. Initially I was all for getting a refund and purchasing elsewhere, but as the lens has increased approximately 20% in less than a month that particular option is now closed to me. I have elected to have a replacement lens posted to me which I am currently tracking. I will really "spit the dummy" if this one's a dud too.

As a result of this tiresome saga I have had time for some reading. I have been studying "Light: Science and Magic" by Fil Hunter, Steven Biver and Paul Fuqua (pub. Focal Press) . I can't speak highly enough of this book. I didn't realise how little I knew about light until I was about five minutes into chapter one. Rather than being a "this is how we did it, now you have a go" text, the authors aim to teach you the "grammar and vocabulary of photography." They go on to state that they "will be more bored than flattered if reading this book causes you to make pictures that look like ours. For better or worse, you have to build your own pictures on your own vision."

The book is quite technical but not overly so and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Let's hope that it will improve my photography!

P.S. The weather has been too lousy for me to get the promised frogspawn pictures. I will put them up asap.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home